Welcome to Amateur Radio Station K4EQ

Click for larger view
Thanks for stopping by my Amateur Radio (also known as Ham Radio) website. I received my Novice Class license as a young teenager in 1960 and was assigned KN8WHB as my call sign. Since then, I have enjoyed many memorable experiences in this great hobby.

Due to upgrades and moves, I've held several call signs. KN8WHB was changed to K8WHB when I upgraded to General Class. That was changed to W9NXD when we moved to Indiana. When we moved back to Michigan in 1984, I upgraded to Extra Class and was assigned NJ8X. I held that call until 1996 when the FCC began the vanity call sign program. That allowed amateurs to select the call sign of their choice, if available, according to their license class. We lived in Virginia then and I received my current call of K4EQ.

After I retired in 2013, my wife and I moved to the St. Louis area. Below are pictures and descriptions of some of my station equipment. Click on any picture for a larger view.

If you're new to Ham Radio, take a look around my site and see if something sparks an interest in you. Be sure to check out the website of the ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio. Ham Radio is fun, challenging and educational. Plus, there are many opportunities for public service. If you're not yet licensed, I hope you'll join the ranks soon.

Elecraft K2

This is my main HF rig, an Elecraft K2, which I built in early 2014. I also added the audio filter, SSB adapter, noise blanker, and 100-watt amplifier. It's a super transceiver with a very good receiver. I also have an Icom IC-706MKIIG which I use for backup and digital modes. It's a good, little radio, but I much prefer using the K2. Click on the picture for a larger view.

Elecraft K1

This is my favorite QRP radio: the Elecraft K1. Mine covers 40, 30, 20 and 17 meters. I also have a two-band filter board (80 & 15 meters) which I can switch in and out with the four-band module.I rarely use the two-band board so I'm trying to sell it. Click on the picture for a larger view.

Ten-Tec Argonaut 515

This is my Ten-Tec Argonaut 515, a classic QRP radio which made its debut in 1978. It covers 80-10 meters (minus the WARC bands) on SSB and CW. It last belonged to my brother, KD8LL, and before that to K8CH. I believe AA4CO was the original owner. It's a keeper. Click on the picture for a larger view.

SignaLink USB

On the left is the Tigertronics SignaLink USB integrated USB sound card for working the digital modes. Man, this sure makes life easier when getting on PSK31, RTTY, etc. Now I don't have to worry about constantly changing the volumes setting on the computer. I can change them all I want for the computer without affecting my signal from the transmitter. I wouldn't want to be without this on the digital modes now. Click on the picture for a larger view.

NØSA Paddle

I ran across a review of NĂ˜SA's paddles shortly after they came out in 2010. Being a dedicated CW operator, I was intrigued. After reading several reviews, I knew I had to have one, so I ordered the TP-4 paddle and received serial number 037. It's is a true work of art and the best paddle I've ever used. Some of its features include miniature precision stainless steel ball bearings, adjustable magnetic return, finely threaded brass adjustment screws, and solid silver and stainless contacts. It's small compared to many paddles, like my Elecraft magnetic paddle, but heavy enough not to move around while sending. Unfortunately, these are no longer being made. Click on the picture for a larger view.